For a PDF version of the tutorial on this page, click image below to download the PDF.
1. ECOS Profile
In order to access the HabITS application a user must first have an account with ECOS. Login to Secure ECOS at https://ecos.fws.gov and supply the users AD credentials. If the user has never established an account they will be asked to setup their profile at this time. If they already have an ECOS account access the PROFILE page (under My Account) and verify their current profile. If the user has switched stations recently it may not be accurate and they will need to submit a help desk ticket to have ECOS change their profile.
Data Sharing Restrictions:
HabITS is a robust database with quite a bit of data both historic and present. There are many times that the programs work with other entities collaboratively. The success of the Partners and Coastal Programs relies upon voluntary partnerships founded in trust. As such, we cannot over emphasize the importance of protecting the privacy of our partners. To the extent possible, any reports run or shared must have any landowner names and other sensitive information of private citizens and organizations removed. Spatial data must be accompanied by a Data Sharing Agreement.
2. After logging into the Environmental Conservation Online System (ECOS) click HabITS v5 Dashboard to access HabITS.
3. The first page you will see is the HabITS 5 Dashboard, from here you will see a list of your office’s Recent Mechanism, Projects, and Accomplishments. These lists can also be sorted. From this page you can also search for a Mechanism, Project, or Accomplishment
4. Next, hover your mouse pointer over the Habitat Improvement tab to see the options available in the Habitat Improvement Module. From here, under the Feature Search category you can Search for a Mechanism, Search for a Project, Search for an Accomplishment, Search for a Focus Area, Search for a Strategic Plan, or File Search. You can also Create a New Mechanism or Create a New Focus Area. For more information about how to Create a Mechanism click here or how to Create a Focus Area click here.
5. Now hover your mouse pointer over the Strategic Planning tab to see the options available in the Strategic Planning Module. From here, under the Strategic Plans category you can Create a New Strategic Plan Activity, Search for a Strategic Plan Activity, or view Strategic Plan Targets and Progress. You can also create or search for a Technical Assistance Activity. For more information about how to Create a New Strategic Plan Activity click here or access a Strategic Plan Targets and Progress click here or how to Create a New Technical Assistance Activity click here.
Now hover your mouse pointer over the Reports tab, from here you can choose to run a Basic Report, Advanced Filtering Report, Summary Report, or Custom Data Export. Click the following links to learn more about How to Run a Basic Report, How to Run an Advanced Filtering Report, How to Run a Summary Report, or How to Run a Custom Data Export.
7. Now hover your mouse pointer over the Map tab, from here you enter the HabITS Mapper to view Mechanism, Project, and Accomplishment locations.
8. Now hover your mouse pointer over the Customization tab, this is where you can edit/delete your species list by going to Manage Species Lists or you can Create a New Species List. These species list will be used when creating new Projects, Accomplishments, and Focus Areas. For more information about how to Manage Species List click here or how to Create a New Species List click here. You can also look run the Lookup Table Management tool or lookup the Partners List.
9. If you need further help click the Documentation tab, this will link you to the main HabITS Confluence page where you can find many resources on how to use HabITS Version 5.