Working with the National Report
Replace Nat'l Adjustment screencap(s) (6th and maybe also the 5th below) with one with nat. adj. values in it whenever a national adjustment is made and can be captured. Also, since "national" is the adjective, that form should say "National Adjustment" and not "Nation Adjustment," which means something else entirely.
On the Performance Reporting home page under "Review [current fiscal year] Performance Metrics," you will find a box with links to instructional guides like this one. Below that is a link to the current year's National performance report, along with Regional Reports.
View and edit the National Report
To open the national report, click on the "National performance" link. The National Report for the current fiscal year will display (next two images).
- You will have to use the vertical and horizontal scroll bars to see all of the data.
- To tailor the report to include only those programs of interest (the row categories that will display), click "Choose" under the Program column title and select or deselect programs to suit your needs.
- Reports are exportable and printable.
Note: If this is your first time into the report for the year, or if you regularly clear your browser cookies: Before the report opens, you will get a message saying, >No Program selected for fiscal year 20XX along with the "Program Selection" popup screen (next image). By default, ALL programs are checked (will be included in the report). Customize the report to your needs by clicking (unchecking) unneeded programs, leaving only the program(s) of interest. When done, click "Save and Reload." The program will remember your selections the next time you log in, unless and until you clear browser cookies.
The National Report fields (column headings):
- The Measure column lists each measure code and its text description in Operational Plan order.
- Click the “View Descriptions” link to open a separate window with a complete list and descriptions of performance measures for the current FY.
- Click on the arrows to the right of the heading to change the order of the display (and give it a moment to do so).
- For a given Measure, click the [learn more…] link for an explanation of how the value for that measure is calculated.
- The Program column shows the FWS program with which a measure is associated. If desired, click on the arrows to the right of the column title to organize the measures (A-Z or Z-A) according to Program. (Here also, like the original Program Selection popup, the Choose link allows you to select and deselect which programs' measures are displayed in your report.)
- The OP Target displays the National Operational Plan target for this measure.
- The ECOS value ([date]) column shows the current ECOS value for those measures that derive their values from entries in an ECOS module. For example, if a measure’s value is derived from counting TAILS Section 7 Consultation Activities, the total number as of the date shown is displayed. A zero is displayed if there is no data or if the value is not derived from ECOS.
Note: The value in this column is compiled nightly so always refer to the date in the column header. This means that you cannot make a change to an ECOS module like TAILS and see it reflected in the PRS report that same day—you'll have to wait until the following morning to see the change.
If a value is displayed in the ECOS Value column for a particular measure, you can click on that linked value to view how it was obtained (that is, which entries in the associated ECOS application or module added up to that measure’s value). For example, clicking on the value (4,444 above) for Measure 184.108.40.206, “Number of timely formal/informal "Other Non-Energy" consultation request responses,” displays the TAILS Activities contributing to that value (next image). (A note about TAILS-derived measures: If entries are from TAILS, in that same window you can click on the Activity Code to view the selected activity in TAILS. If you wish, you can export this report to CSV, Excel, or PDF format and use it to double-check the reported values in TAILS.)
- The Region plus office Adjustments column displays the total of all adjustments made at the FO or RO level to either (1) enter values for measures that don’t derive their values from ECOS or (2) correct the values displayed in the ECOS Value column. This column is not editable.
- The National Adjustment column is used to (1) enter values for measures that don’t derive their values from ECOS or (2) correct the values displayed in the ECOS value column. Adjustments made in this column affect the total national roll-up value for each measure.
- To adjust a value, click on the Edit link (if there is one) for the target value.
Note: If there is no Edit link, then this value is NOT adjustable in the performance reporting system. Instead, the underlying data in the relevant ECOS application must be corrected in order to make an adjustment to this value. For example, if the value for a measure is derived from TAILS and it seems too low, the Activities contributing to that measure should be reviewed in TAILS, and if necessary, missing Activities entered or existing Activities edited to correct the value. Remember, you can click the Measure's [learn more…] link to find out from which ECOS module a value for a particular measure is derived and how it is calculated.
- Enter the amount of the adjustment in the Value field. This adjustment can be positive or negative. For example, if the current ECOS value is 7 and you want to adjust it to 6, you would enter "−1" (negative 1) in the Value field of the Nation Adjustment form for that measure.
Note: Only one adjustment may be entered. If, say, the current adjustment is “+1” and you want to add another 1 to that, change the adjustment value to “+2.”
Replace next screencap with one with a number whenever a national adjustment is made and can be captured.
- REQUIRED: In the Comment field, enter an explanation as to why this adjustment was necessary.
- Click the Save button to save your adjustment for this measure.
Note: The name of the person making the adjustment is also saved. The Value amount, Comment, and name can be viewed by clicking the Edit link for this value.
- The ECOS value with Adjustments field displays the new value for this measure, which is the current ECOS value plus or minus any Office, Region, or National adjustments.
For example, the ECOS value for Measure 220.127.116.11 is 2 and the total of all Region plus Office Adjustments is +3 (for a total, not shown, of 5). If a National Adjustment of -2 is entered, the ECOS value with Adjustments would be reduced to 3. If no further adjustments are made, 3 is the value that would be reported to PTrac for this measure (PTrac is the final reporting tool for FWS end-of-year reporting.) This value is highlighted in yellow to indicate an “adjusted” value (next image).
Pointing your cursor at any yellow-highlighted cell will display an informational tool-tip like this:
- Columns for each of the Regions follow. The current reported values for each Region are displayed in each column.
- Click the View link for each Region to view that Region’s data.
Note: Use the View link in the R9 column to enter or edit data specifically related to the R9 (HQ) office, if any. Refer to Performance Metric Instructions: Field Users for details.
Still need help?
Submit a ticket to the ECOS Help Desk or call 970-266-2999 9:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Eastern Time M-F.