CDI Monthly Meeting - 20181114
The Community for Data Integration (CDI) meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
Meeting recordings are available to CDI Members approximately 24 hours after the completion of the meeting. Please log in to view the recording. If you would like to become a member of CDI, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the call, you can ask and up-vote questions at slido.com, event code #Y261.
Agenda (in Eastern time)
11:00a Welcome - Kevin Gallagher - Associate Director for Core Science Systems and Tim Quinn - Office of Enterprise Information Chief CDI_20181114_OpeningSlides-All.pdf
11:10a Collaboration Area Announcements
11:15a Commenting and Voting in the CDI Request for Proposals - Leslie Hsu and Leah Colasuonno, USGS
11:30a Announcement of the new Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning Collaboration Area - Jim Reilly, Director, USGS, and JC Nelson, USGS
11:45a The new 3D Elevation Program Lidar Products and Elevation Services from the National Map - Rob Dollison, USGS
12:05p ESIP Lab Opportunities - Annie Burgess, Earth Science Information Partners
12:20p Submitting sessions and topics for the 2019 CDI Workshop - Leslie Hsu and Leah Colasuonno, USGS
The new 3D Elevation Program Lidar Products and Elevation Services from the National Map
Learn about the new dynamic elevation service from the 3DEP program and options for accessing lidar, 1 M DEMs and other enhanced National Map products and services to support your science.
Bio: Rob Dollison is the The National Map (TNM) Delivery Services Lead in Reston Virginia for the U.S. Geological Survey’s (USGS) National Geospatial Program Office (NGP). He is responsible for overseeing the evolution of the enterprise-level product and data delivery systems, and web visualization, for The National Map to meet the needs of a wide base of customers ranging from scientists, GIS analysts, responders and the public
Presentation: Slides are available to CDI Members. Please log in to download the slides. If you would like to become a member of CDI, email email@example.com.
- Pre-call poll: Should the CDI use communication tools like Slack and Rocketchat? https://goo.gl/99s7xL
- Q: How would Slack or Rocketchat be better than current means of communication? Leslie: It allows members to opt-in if they are okay with frequent announcements. Currently, we are a bit reluctant to send emails too frequently to our member list. People can decide to get only infrequent emails, but check Slack/Rocketchat for more info. Also, it allows any member to post a question or announcement easily. It may be in the current workflow for some of our members. If integrated with the USGS system, we may get new members come across our channel by chance and learn more about the CDI.
- Q: I haven't found any use for the but I'm willing to learn. Leslie: It definitely fits into a particular niche of communication. Informal, somewhat transient (even if everything is archived, may not be as easy to search and find), could be integrated into people's workflows with repositories, etc. It's also not the type of thing to have notifying you if you are trying to do any sort of "deep work."
- Poll results:
- Yes: 48%
- No: 16%
- What are Slack and RocketChat?: 16% : Answer: https://slack.com/, "Slack is a place where your team comes together to collaborate, important information can be found by the right people, and your tools pipe in information when and where you need it." Rocketchat is similar and USGS has a current instance running.
- Other (see comments above): 20%
- Group Learning Matplotlib sign-up: https://goo.gl/uYMB3T
- FY19 proposal wiki page: https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/x/R4gFJ
- Sign up for the new Artificial Intelligence group: https://goo.gl/3Jtmhf
- The new 3D Elevation Program Lidar Products and Elevation Services from the National Map
- New Web Pages: https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-systems/ngp/tnm-delivery
- Refreshed USGS Topo Base Map: https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/USGSTopo/MapServer
- Notification about our map services: https://apps.nationalmap.gov/notifications
- Demonstration Elevation Viewer - https://apps.nationalmap.gov/3depdem
- The National Map Viewer; https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer
- Direct link to start downloading 3DEP Lidar Data: https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/?basemap=b1&category=ned,nedsrc
- 3DEP Lidar explorer: http://prd-tnm.s3.amazonaws.com/LidarExplorer/index.html#/
- Where we want to be: Download as a last resort mentality; Store data in unzipped, optimal formats ready for direct processing by standard services or custom processes; Provide basic visualization, analysis and extraction functions through services on an open platform.
- ESIP Lab Opportunities
- http://esipfed.org/esip-lab : Seed funding, Government employees can be Co-Investigators (not receive funding) but collaboration on a team
- Attend ESIP Bi-Annual Meetings: https://esipfed.org/meetings
- Join a Virtual Collaboration Area: https://esipfed.org/get-involved/collaborate
- Be a mentor through ESIP for Google Summer of Code (contact Annie at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Preparing the the 2019 CDI Workshop
- Submit a workshop session idea: https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/x/FIZ-J
- Previous ideas can be seen at the bottom of this page: https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/cdi/CDI+Monthly+Meeting+20180613
- Submit a poster/datablast idea: https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/x/FoZ-J
- Are you planning on attending the CDI workshop, June 4-7 in Boulder, CO? https://goo.gl/KvALRG
A Participant Report is available to CDI Members. Please log in to download the report. If you would like to become a member of CDI, email email@example.com.