2013 OWS JSON Goal
The SaveAs - OpenIn module has been deployed and now supports converting the source NGA Palanterra x3 (or Px3) JSON to saving a Px3 JSON, KML, or as ArcMap MXD. The team is working towards the Web Application Integration Framework - User Stories
to save an "instance" for users where "User is working in multiple
viewer and wants to save major
session changes including adding multiple custom services that can be opened in another viewer".
The goal is to start moving towards OGC OWS Context JSON as source as well as exploring the OWS Context JSON as converted from OWS Context XML. Recall, the current OWS Context is XML to start, but in OWS-10 Testbed, the goal is to also support OWS Context as JSON as researched in 2011 and 2012 as part of Web Service Contexts - Standards and Options
The team does not want to assumed the OWS Context XML to JSON conversion will be free of issues without validating. Given such, the approach is to gather issues by USGS conducting Testbed on existing JSON comparing viewing and saving to new OWS JSON . Then, USGS would provide issues back to SWG, for complexity tagging and priorizitation for OWS-10 kicking off in Sept '13 . The USGS NGTOC team has a requirement that guides the work Task 50-1530 Research new OGC OWS Context and Plan
for supporting this task.
- Get test harness and trained
- Get test cases documented, reviewed, accepted
- Build test source XML
- Convert to JSON
- BONUS: Start developing way for Viewer API to read it
Until we have this, we cant document many issues, concerns etc.
|January - February ||Plan OGC Testbed with USGS||Present and Discuss plan at the OGC Redlands TC (Technical conference)||Get general concurrence from OGC||Done, Concurrence received. OGC will support as defined|
|February-April(May)||Kickoff Export OWS to JSON|
Setup Test Harness and Kickoff by March
Needs for Export OWS Context XML to JSON
Assuming still a 1-2 day run XSLT script, by Pedro
Suggest to transition/train OWS Context XML conversions for using other OWS Context XML examples to convert to JSON to get a robust test of objects, entities, attributes, and relationship
- Going into May, we'll want to setup a test or a series of test source OWS Context XML that can handle our test cases.
- Likely we'll need to script or manually bring in basemaps, services, and settings from previous Px3 JSON work.
- Get/Copy/download your exporter/transformer code (assuming its an XSLT script)
- Transition that to Rick and his tech team (i.e. IDE, run notes, etc.)
- Capture any instructions, notes, issues
- Get some of the XML examples you used
- If possible, we'll see if Marten (Hogeweg) can provide his Arc example work on XML, discussing ArcGIS REST/KML , and converting to JSON
- Ultimately, output of this set of activities is to the have the test harness setup and team understand how to test.
Done - Rick, Matt, Pedro, Marten, Glenn G had call on 5/10/2013
Main issues to watch namespaces, testing with multiple rest services to validate layers, comparing esri geoservices json effort to converting OWS XML to JSON
Pedro noted - all the material necessary for testing the OWS Context is available on the ogc svn in (OGC.org requires Glenn G. or Matt T. to access currently, but access could be requested for other GS'ers if desired).
and open in opensource in github
Also you can find in our github the xslt for transforming getcapabilities documents on the atom context files
Marten noted -
This is the WMC opener I just mentioned for ArcGIS Desktop.
it is open source under Apache 2.0 license.
I put together this quick sample webmap that combines ArcGIS Rest, WMS, KMZ, and GeoRSS layers as well as map notes as ‘in-file’ data:
the webmap in readable json:
The format for the webmap (10.2 preview) is described here:
|April-August||USGS Conduct Testbed|
- Define what we want to test and document test stories based on what we support today for map context in Px3 (basemaps, buttons, service interaction, popups, navigation, various services types, opacity, layering, etc.)
- Alpha level testing comparing and converting our Palanterra x3 JSON Viewer API to support reading the OWS JSON via the Viewer API
- The team will focus on comparing the Px3 JSON Map Context fields to the OWS Context JSON - Not the additional "extended" Viewer API aspects
- USGS has a document that breaksdown the base context vs extended Px3 context
- The point is if we exported to pure OSW Context JSON outside the viewer, could another viewer read that and bring up similar map context.
- both for reading and saving as a conversion to Px3 JSON to OWS JSON for eventual replacement
- Focus will be on the Px3 JSON conversion issues encountered and other issue raised before
USGS will want to test WMS, KML, and ArcGIS REST service examples for Viewer Map Context as initial start
May suggest also work with Marten including his Arc example work on XML, discussing ArcGIS REST/KML , and converting to JSON
- May suggest that if OpenGeo or ESRI wants to work in parallel to have info sharing setup to compare notes
- Log Px3 JSON conversion issues encountered and other issue raised before
- Log OGC Context suggestions
- Offer alternative solutions for issues where appropriate
- refined test harness for XML to JSON
- New Test Harness for USGS
- Some Px3 JS/JAVA code (separate module) on reading the new OGC OWS Context JSON by the Px3 Viewer.
- After USGS runs complete TestBed, USGS will move to next step to proivde OWS Context JSON Feedback of issues encounters, suggestions, and possible solutions
|August||USGS Issue Submission to SWG|
- USGS will submit issues discovered
- USGS presents issues for interactive discussion
- Likely in between, USGS may ask questions to SWG
- Goal is not to resolve or make changes now, but
- understand issue, alternatives, missed existing approaches,
- Submit Issues and Initial Simple Resolution or complex alternatives discussion for OWS-10 planning
- OGC understands issues enough for OWS-10 prioritizing and level of effort analysis
|August-September||SWG Complexity/Priority Discussion|
- OGC Submit Issues and Initial Simple Resolution or complex alternatives discussion for OWS-10 planning
- Categorize level of complexity and prioritization for some options
- Give direction and scope options for OWS-10
- Any resolution needed would wait for OWS-10
- OWS-10 Testbed plan includes
- OWS Context for JSON development
*Since the presentation of this plan - OWS Context - JSON - Raw notes.pptx - at the OGC Technical Conferenece in Redlands, CA in January 2013, the plan has slipped 1 month, so dates have been adjusted.
An important topic to the USGS, NGA, and OWS Context team is "How to approach ESRI JSON as well". This is currently being considered by the OGC Context Chair, David Wesloh, as to how to proceed in regards to:
- What to do between now and OWS-10
- Discuss in Parallel?
- Part of another SWG?
- Info Sharing Sessions?
- Initial study/Issue capture?
- What to plan for OWS-10 Planning
Especially given the the OGC REST API vote going on, the following specific questions have been raised. There is overlap in the ESRI REST API with a pseudo-published web map context that could be considered competitive standard to the OWS Context once the OWS Context is in JSON. That should be considered as something to address. Both from the overlapping Web Map Context that comes with the GeoServices REST API kind of an admittedly hidden context spec that comes with the GeoServices REST API. Understanding how features, queries, coverages, and map services calls from the GeoServices REST API would fit into OGC OWS context?