Confluence Retirement

In an effort to consolidate USGS hosted Wikis, the myUSGS Confluence service is targeted for retirement on January 28, 2022. The official USGS Wiki and collaboration space is now SharePoint. Please migrate existing spaces and content to the SharePoint platform and remove it from Confluence at your earliest convenience. If you need any additional information or have any concerns about this change, please contact myusgs@usgs.gov. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Action Items:

  • Brian and Joan coordinate with individual project chiefs within each Program, to ensure that Cascadia Recurrence FY18 BASIS proposals are coordinated.
  • Janet Watt will form a planning committee for a pre-GSA meeting in Seattle, the Saturday before it begins.  We will likely have a project meeting before it start, and then open it to broader participation and topics.  Joan Gomberg and Scott Bennett will help out, but others are needed please.
  • Send Lydia Staisch any data that would be useful to have in the project database, and/or links to them.  The offshore group will get together with Lydia to provide the data they've compiled, when she settles in Menlo Park.
  • Brian and Janet will discuss approaches for publishing Chris Goldfinger's offshore fault database. 
  • Spend project's funds for radio-carbon dating.
  • Ask Nate Wood or Stephanie Ross to bring the topic of systematic bathymetric mapping up at the August NTHMP workshop. 
  • We will use pre-GSA meeting for next face-to-face meeting, perhaps in a pre-pre-GSA meeting!


General News 

  • FY17 & FY18 Budgets, Program Priorities, BASIS Planning - Brian Sherrod
    • The project is fully funded for FY17 and likely ~7% can be carried over into FY18. 
    • The bad news is that we may need to plan on possible ~15% cuts for FY18 and FY19.
    • The good news is that there appears to be much enthusiasm for this project (its multidisciplinary approach, leveraging/learning with partners, focused yet fundamental research)  at the NHMA-level, and among program managers. 
    • There likely will not be a SZ Initiative in FY18 (though nothing is definitive yet), but nonetheless there is lots of momentum to keep the focus on SZs and grown efforts to advance SZ work to the extent possible. 
  • Related SZ Science Activities - Joan Gomberg
    •  The USGS SZ Science Plan and accompanying Fact Sheet are both complete and about to be published online and printed.  Rollout activities are underway, to continue marketing these within the DOI and among our partners.
    • The NSF SZ4D workshop (held last October) report was presented to the NSF ~10 days ago and very well received.  The leaders of the workshop and report writing were told to go forward with the next steps toward a proposal. NSF program managers particularly like the coordination with the USGS, and this will be a topic at the next USGS-NSF quarterly meeting this summer.  Town Hall meetings presenting both plans and discussing going forward are being organized for the GSA and AGU meetings.
    • A Cascadia Offshore Monitoring workshop was held last month, with >100 applicants (funded by the Moore Foundation).  The primary focus was on development of a cabled monitoring network on the seafloor.  A report is being written.
    • The National Academy of Sciences is hosting a webinar series focused on Cascadia earthquakes, hazard and risk.  The first of three was held several weeks ago, with 211 attendees.
    • Numerous sessions focused on Cascadia are scheduled during the GSA meeting. 

Updates (Current and Future Findings/Activities)

  • Landslide - Jonathan Perkins
    • The primary focus thus far has been on planning the workshop at the University of Oregon next week.  Priorities and plans for the remainder of FY17 and going forward will be one of the topics of discussion at the workshop.
  • Subsidence - Rob Witter (Joan)
    • The Powell Center proposal was not funded but will be resubmitting. The shortcomings were clearly noted in the proposal reviews and can easily be addressed. 
    • The group is planning fieldwork along Oregon coast in mid July, focusing on the Salmon River region.
    • A GSA session is planned.
    • Group members have been discussed collaborations with Tina Dura (NSF Fellow and diatom specialist).
    • Group members just published their paper about Cascadia paleogeodesy paper in Geology.
  • Crustal - Brian Sherrod
    • We forgot to talk about this!
  • Database - Lydia Staisch (Joan, Brian)
    • The building of a searchable database on ArcGIS is underway; thus far it includes marine seismic reflection lines, mapped quaternary faults, drill cores, GPS data, onshore LiDAR, multibeam survey lines, onshore seismic stations, and more. Challenges are licensing use of data (though most are freely available) and attribution.
    • The database will be available to anyone (ArcGIS not needed), and will likely reside on USGS ScienceBase.
    • CONTRIBUTIONS welcomed!
  • Offshore – Janet Watt

    • The group has lots of data to provide to Lydia - they will try to get together with her when she arrives in Menlo Park.  Members met with Anne Trehu and Chris Goldfinger and got lots of new data.  Discussions with Chris covered publication of his Cascadia-wide offshore fault database - Brian and Janet will discuss approaches for doing this. The new USGS Quaternary Fault Database PNW section is just about ready; this should be coordinated somehow with Chris's data.
    • The CMGP, EHP, and GMEG have written plans to study onshore-offshore upperplate faults in Cascadia.  In FY18 the focus would be on southern Cascadia, in collaboration with Humboldt State (using their ship).  In FY19 the USGS would work with the UW on faults near Gray's Harbor.  Brian Sherrod is working on an IPA with the UW, to provide salary for Emily Roland as leverage for use of the Thompson, which will be available in FY19 and possibly briefly in the fall of FY18).
    • The group acquired new high-resolution imaging data in Feb. 2017 from Lake Washington and Puget Sound, to characterize deformation along Seattle and South Whidbey Island faults and landslides (PI's: Watt, Roland [UW], Bennett, Brothers).  The data are being processed by Emily Roland and her student at the UW, which should be completed by the end of June.  Results will be presented at the GSA.  They also plan to collaborate with Ralph Haugerud to get age constraints from his detailed terrestrial mapping.  Brian Sherrod notes that that the Navy may be doing work on an adjacent onshore segment of the Seattle fault, and will keep Janet and Scott posted about its progress.
  • Modeling – Art Frankel, Joan Gomberg
    • Art and Erin Wirth have been working on M9 simulations.  They are using uplift patterns to constrain eastern extent of slip, and find the patterns provide strong constraints (i.e., require slip to stop west of the tremor distribution).
    • Joan has been working on a study of onshore/offshore site response and currently is writing results up.  These show significant variability in site response, that correlates clearly with structure.


  • Tsunami -  SeanPaul La Selle
    • Project members will be going to Salmon River (central Oregon) and Flores Lake (southern Oregon) in July to look at tsunami deposits.  At Flores Lake they will look for tsunami deposits using a new pontoon boat.
    • Alan Nelson notes that there could be places where uplift occurred but simply hasn't been mapped.
    • Brian reminds people that the project has funds for radio-carbon dating and encourages people to use it!
    • In Lynch Cove found deposits have been found that are probably related to the 1700 event. These and other data, along with GeoClaw modeling showing inundation within Puget Sound of several meters (likely higher in the Straits of Juan de Fuca).
  • Geodesy - Fred Pollitz
    • Fred Pollitz and Eileen Evans recently published a paper on Cascadia locking in the JGI. They show that the offshore locking is very poorly constrained.  Fred notes that geodesy can provide estimate uplift rates onshore.  Eileen Evans, with Sarah Minson, have studied the optimal placement of GPS stations offshore, and show that ~25 offshore sites are needed to constrain the locking.

Meeting at GSA - Janet Watt

  • Janet submitted a request for a room for the Saturday before the GSA meeting in Seattle to gather people interested in onshore/offshore studies in Cascadia.  
  • Janet will put together a committee to organize the day.


Bathymetric Mapping - Tom Brocher

  • Tom suggests that a systematic approach to obtaining more bathymetry data is needed.  How can this be leveraged with the EHP and CMGP, and NOAA activities.  For the latter, we can ask Nate Wood or Stephanie Ross to bring the topic up at the August NTHMP workshop.  We can also make it one of the topics of the pre-GSA meeting.

Next Meeting

  • We will use pre-GSA meeting for next face-to-face meeting, perhaps in a pre-pre-GSA meeting!


BASIS - Brian Sherrod

  • Project chiefs will coordinate FY18 BASIS proposals, so that a unified proposal is submitted.  


  • No labels