Scientists, resource managers, teachers, and the public can retrieve data using an online query. BioData allows one to find the data of interest based on criteria (filters) such as data type, location, date, or taxonomy. Selected retrieval criteria can be saved to a computer desktop for future queries. Data retrievals are organized in data set tables with a defined column headings. The requested data can be downloaded in several formatsThe U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) BioData Retrieval system provides public access to aquatic bioassessment data (biological community and physical habitat data) collected by USGS scientists from stream ecosystems across the nation. USGS scientists collect fish-, aquatic macroinvertebrate-, and algae-community samples and conduct stream physical habitat surveys as part of its fundamental mission to describe and understand the Earth. The publicly available BioData Retrieval system disseminates data from over 15,000 fish, aquatic macroinvertebrate, and algae community samples. Additionally, the system serves data from over 5000 physical data sets (samples), such as reach habitat and light availability, that were collected to support the community sample analyses. The system contains sample data that were collected and processed since 1991 using the protocols of the National Water-Quality Assessment (NAWQA). As of 2010, the system has added data collected by USGS scientists using the procedures and protocols of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency National Rivers and Streams Assessment program (NRSA).
Scientists, resource managers, teachers, and the public can retrieve data using intuitive online queries.
Features of the Retrieval System
- Select Users can select data using variety of criteria, including: sample type, geography, site characteristics and lists, sampling dates, and project or programSee , or taxonomy
- Users can see how many samples you will retrieve in real time as you modify selection criteria
- Save Users can save data selection criteria for re-use . Email and even send them to colleagues for them to their use
- Preview Users can preview data tables before downloading them
- Download Users can download data as in comma-delimited, tab-delimited, XML, Excel 1997/2003, or Excel 2007 formats
- Download Users can download multiple related data tables in one operation - packaged together in one zip file
- All taxonomy is reported using a standardized and harmonized taxonomic system - synonymy is resolved for you
- Online Users have access to online data table and column definitions