Table of Contents
If you want to create projects, edit projects, or gain access to projects that you have permission to view in SCDEPTH, you must log in.
- To log in:
or under the drop down
Click Log in in the upper right corner
For DOI users: Your username is your email address and your password is your Active Directory password
For non-DOI users: Your username is your email address and your password is your myUSGS password
Click on Log
Viewing Projects in SC DEPTH
- From the homepage, click on Project list at the bottom of the text on the home page OR
- From the drop-down under SCDEPTH Project Editor to see a list of the projects you can view
General Project Searches
- When you get to the project list page, you can do a general project search (for example you can look at all of the projects involving water), you can type any search term in the general search box; this will narrow your search to only projects that have the word water (or whatever term you search) in them
You can narrow your search (shown below) by using one of the drop-down filters. You will have less results to choose from by doing this. In this example we chose a PI from the drop-down and then narrowed our search to 2 results.
- Click on the name of a project you would like to view and you will be directed to that project page
When you want to return to the list of all projects, click the back ←List box in the upper left corner of the screen
Downloading a CSV of your Search Results
- To down-load download a CSV of your search results, click on the Download CSV heading and a CSV list of the projects you have narrowed by your search will be downloaded to your computer
Creating a Project in SC DEPTH
- Click on DEPTH SCDEPTH Project Editor to get to the drop down and click on +New Project
Note: You must be logged in to create or edit projects.
You will be directed to the Create New Project Item page.
The required fields for a new project are:
- Project Title
- Fill in the required fields and any additional fields you would like to include for your project
Note: You can always go back later to fill in any of the non-required fields.
An Item Parent ID number will be set for you.
- Click on the Save button at the top or bottom of the page and your project will be created in ScienceBase.
Editing a Project in DEPTH
- To edit a project, from the project page, click on the Editthe blue Edit button in the top tool bar
- Make any changes you need to make
- If you need to delete the project, click the "Delete" button blue Delete button in the top right
- Click the Save Changes button in the top tool bar or at the bottom of the page to save your changes
- If you need to cancel the edit, click the Cancel Edit button in the top tool bar
Adding a File to a Project Page
After the project record has been saved, you can add any type of file to your project item, such as a .doc, .xls, jpeg, pdf, gif, .shp, zip file, etc. through SCDEPTH.
- To add a file to your project page, first click the Add File button at the top of the page on the tool bar
- Click Attach Files
Note: If using Chrome, you will need to double-click on "Attach Files."
- Navigate to where you saved your file(s) and then click on it to add it to your project.
Note: To upload multiple files, use shift and the left-mouse button to click and highlight the files you want to upload. Use ctrl left-mouse click to select multiple files that are not grouped together.
After the upload process is completed, your file(s) are will be displayed.
- To navigate back to the project page, click on the title of the project
Adding a Shapefile to a Project Page
If you want to add a map of the project study area to be displayed on the project page, you can upload a shape file.
- To add a shapefile to your project page, go to the project page as shown above.
- Click on the "Add File" button button at the top of the page on the toolbar.
- You will see a page that looks like this. Click on "Attach Files."
- Next, click Attach Files
Note: If using Chrome, you will need to double-click on "Attach Attach Files."
- Navigate to where the unzipped shapefile is located and use shift and left-mouse click to highlight the files and click "open Open." Use ctrl left-mouse click to select multiple files that are not grouped together.
The files will be added to your project
- Return to the project page and you will see your files have been added to your project, and you should see the map of your project area.
Note: Once you have added a file to a project in SCDEPTH, you cannot delete it via the SDDEPTH interface, you will have to go into ScienceBase to do that.
By default the project record inherits the permissions of its parent record in ScienceBase, which in most cases is public. After the project has been saved, you can change the permissions to be secured to the NYWSC Management Team.
- To secure the project record, click on the "Make Private" button in the tool bar.
- To make the project record public that is currently private, click on the "Make Public" button in the tool bar.