Table of Contents
The BioData System is organized by Projects and Samples. Use the Project Profile to determine who can access and edit data, provide metadata, and make data entry more efficient by setting defaults.
The page describes the functions and parts of the Project Profile.
- Learn more about role of the Project and how to request a project, see DRAFT - What is a BioData Project and How do I get one?.
Project Profile Functions
Functions of Project Profile (applicable sections)
- Establishing project identification, data ownership and access; Set review status (Project Header)
- Identification: Name, Label,
- Ownership: Science Center, Owner
- Access: Editing rights: Owner, Staff
- Review Status
- Creating descriptive metadata, the who, what, when and why of the project data (Project Header; Special Project or Program Information)
- Program, Cooperator
- Set default values and units (NWQL ASR Defaults; Default BioData Lab Order Information)
- Lab order and ASR information
- Future: enhancements to make data entry more efficient
Project Profile Page
These are the sections on the Project Profile page:
- Project Header (includes Abstract)
- Special Project or Program Information
- NWQL ASR Defaults
- Default BioData Lab Order Information
Figure. Project Profile page with Sections collapsed
- Project Identification
- Name, Label
- Data Ownership and Data Access
- Science Center
- Project Owner
- Project Staff
- Review Status
- Review Status Code
- Release Category (Display only)
- Project Abstract
- Description of the data set collected by this Project. The abstract will be especially helpful to researchers who want to use these data.
- Describe the objectives, key aspects, design or methods of study
- Area of study, types of samples collected, and beginning and ending dates
Special Project or Program Information & NWQL ASR Defaults
The sections "Special Project or Program Information" and "NWQL ASR" Defaults" are provided for a Project to :
- Select a USGS Program (such as "National Water Quality Assessment;" "Cooperative Water Program;" "Federal Benchmark Sites)
- List any cooperators with the project
- For "National Water Quality Assessment program (NAWQA) Projects fill out values used on NWQL ASRs.
- "NWQL ASR" Defaults" is conditionally displayed when "National Water Quality Assessment" is selected in the Program selection box
Figure. "Special Project or Program Information" section.
Figure. "Special Project or Program Information" section. NWQL ASR Defaults is displayed when "National Water Quality Assessment" is selected in the Program selection box. Here you can fill out values that will be used when you create ASRs for the National Water Quality Lab (NWQL).
Default BioData Lab Order Information
How to Access the Project Profile
You can access a Project Profile from several places in the BioData application.
- Project List
- Project Page