Well Catalog Search Tips
The Core Research Center Well Catalog (CRCWC) now offers both Map-Based and Text-Based search capabilities. Due to incomplete latitude and longitude coordinates not all wells will be displayed using the Map-Based search. Please use the Text-Based search to find and display all records including those lacking the latitude and longitude coordinates. Also please note that the coordinates provided are only estimates. The coordinate source column identifies the source for the latitude and longitude values. For values obtained from state records please check with the state for more information about how the values were derived. Additional coordinates will be provided as they become available.
Search Box Hints
The new Text-Based Search allows more choices of search criteria. Hovering the mouse pointer over the data entry box will display a tool-tip with information about the acceptable entries for that box.
With the default setting, it will search for both cores and cuttings.
- Un-check the appropriate box to remove core or cuttings from the search.
To select a state use the drop-down box.
- Once a state has been selected the county drop-down box will only offer choices of counties in the selected state.
If you want to specify a range of values for township and range, separate the values with a dash (5-10).
- Use the check boxes to select direction.
- If your area includes a region such as 5N to 5S you can check both the N and S boxes or leave both boxes empty and it will find all wells with that township or range number.
Multiple API numbers separated by commas can be entered into the API number box.
A search can be restricted to find only full or only slabbed cores by selecting from the choices in the drop-down box labeled -Type.
Operator, well name and field can be searched.
- Upper or lower case letters can be used and it may be better to enter only part of a name to get the most results.
Cores can be searched by formation name, entering just the first few letters is sufficient although it may return more than one formation.
We do not have formation information for the cuttings.
To search the Well Catalog
- Go to the CRCWC website - https://my.usgs.gov/crcwc/
- Pick either a Map-Based or Text-Based search from the tabs at the top of the page
- Fill in the appropriate fields that meet your search requirements
- Click Search
By default, a search looks for both cores and cuttings at the same time. The results are on separate tabs.
- Click on the Cores or Cuttings tabs to switch between lists.
- Clicking on a column name in the well list will sort (either ascending or descending) by that column.
- Click Refine Search to return to the search page with the previously entered criteria preserved.
- The original search can then be modified to broaden or narrow the scope as needed.
The View in full page button expands the screen area used by the list.
- The core and cuttings lists have a column with YES or NO to indicate if there are thin sections or analyses.
- The core list also indicates if there are photos.
- For the cores, the list now includes the interval and formation information on the far right side. Cores with multiple intervals are repeated in the list.
To see and download any available reports, photos or thin section images click on the Library Number and then click the links on the resulting page for the individual items.
Result of Clicking on the Library Number
This page can be viewed by clicking the Library Number in the list of results. For cores it will show the intervals and formations (if known). We do not currently have formation data for the cuttings but the links will lead to a similar page showing any available thin sections or analyses. Click the links to display the images which can be saved to your computer. An individual file can be downloaded or choose "download all" to get a zipped file containing all the items in that category. "Download all" in the photo area will get all the photos, you will need to select download all from the thin section or analysis areas to get separate folders with all of those files. If there is only one file for a particular category "download all" will not appear, just click that individual file.
Printing from Full Page View
Click on Full Page View to get a list that can be printed directly from the browser.
- For best results when using Internet Explorer change to landscape view and use "Shrink to Fit" to get all columns on one page.
- For Firefox, use landscape view and if "Shrink to Fit" cuts off columns try changing "Scale" to 60%.
Exporting the List to a File
Long lists with many pages can be viewed by clicking Next or choosing a page number from the buttons at the bottom of the page.
- The Number of Rows Per Page can be selected from the drop-down.
- The lists can be exported into files with a choice of four formats: CSV (Comma Separated Value), Excel, PDF, or XML.
- Clicking on the name of the file type will bring up a box to save the file.
The buttons or the tabs can be used to switch between the Text-Based Search and the Map-Based Search.
- The on-screen slider or the mouse wheel can be used to zoom in and out
- Check boxes are used to select the layers to appear on the map
- Cores and Cuttings can be turned on or off
- Boundaries for states, counties, townships and sections can be shown or hidden
- Buttons in the right corner will select the style of the base map
- Only wells with latitude and longitude data will appear in the Map-Based Search so check the Text-Based Search for possible additional wells
Zoom In and Select an Area
Pan to an area of interest using the mouse or the arrow keys
- Zoom in, hold the shift key and use the mouse to draw a box around the area
- It will zoom to the selected area
- To get a list of the wells in the selected area click on the Search button.
Note: Make sure you finish working with the map before clicking Search to get the list because it will leave the map and will not return to the selected map area.
Township and Range Boundaries and Labels
Zooming in will reveal the township and range boundaries with their labels.
Zooming in farther reveals the labeled sections.
Click on a point to get a pop-up bubble with the information about the well(s) at that location.
- If more than one well is represented by that point, the pop-up bubble will have a scroll bar to allow viewing of the information for all the wells.
- Clicking Show within the bubble will bring up the page with the intervals and the links to any available files for viewing and downloading.
Clicking Show produces the same page that can be viewed by clicking the Library Number in the list of results from the Text-Based Search.
- For cores it will show the intervals and formations (if known).
- We do not currently have formation data for the cuttings but the links will lead to a similar page showing any available thin sections or analyses.
- Click on the Thumbnail to view full sized photo or data files
- Click Photo under the view column to see an image of the thin section
- Click the links to display the images which can be saved to your computer.
- An individual file can be downloaded or choose download all to get a zipped file containing all the items in that category
- Download all in the photo area will get all the photos
- Select download all from the thin section or analysis areas to get separate folders with all of those files.
- If there is only one file for a particular category download all will not appear, just click that individual file.