Follow the CDI calendar
The full CDI calendar is on the wiki at the CDI Calendar page.
As of December 2019 we no longer use a Google Calendar for CDI events, the calendar is maintained in Confluence. (A calendar created through USGS Outlook would not be accessible to those outside of the Department of the Interior.)
You can add the CDI calendar to your Outlook (or Google) Calendar:
- When logged in to the wiki, you will see a "Subscribe" button immediately above the calendar. Click Subscribe.
- Choose the Calendar "CDI General (myUSGS)"
- Chose your calendar app (I chose "Microsoft Outlook (browser)")
- Copy the Team Calendars URL to your clipboard (ends in .ics for the option I chose above)
- In your app, import the calendar. For Outlook Browser, chose "Import Calendar," then "From web," and enter the .ics URL from your clipboard and give it a name (I used "CDI General (myUSGS)")
More info for adding a Confluence calendar to Outlook on the Web
More info for adding a Confluence calendar to Outlook Desktop App on Windows
Set up a CDI calendar event with a group mailing list
This information is for CDI collaboration area leads who want to invite their group mailing list to a calendar event.
Here is a suggested workflow from what we know about Outlook and Mailman mailing lists at this time. These instructions are written by someone who uses the Outlook Desktop App on a Mac.
- Create your event in Outlook with details of topic and web join link, if applicable.
- Add your CDI group mailing address to the guest list (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Choice: Request Responses or Not
- The default is to Request Responses, you will be able to see individuals who have accepted or declined the event. Pro: You know who is planning to attend. Con: You will receive an email for each response. You can probably create a Rule in Outlook to filter away the calendar responses if you want to see who has accepted on the calendar event, but don't want to see the emails.
- Turn off Responses: You will not get any emails but you will not be able to see who has accepted the event on the calendar event.
- "Send Update" to save the event. This is how your mailing list will be notified of the event.
- If you need to make lots of updates to your event and don't want an email to be triggered each time, a web search suggested that you (1) Toggle "work offline" in your Outlook app, (2) click "Send Update" (3) Go look at your Outbox and delete the Outlook email before it goes to attendees. Here is a more detailed description.
- If your email list is moderated, there may be an additional step for you (or a CDI facilitator) to "approve" the email before it is sent out, CDI facilitators do not mind doing this, and you should have the info on how to do this yourself (ask to be reminded any time).