How to Log in
To access DMP editor, go to https://my.usgs.gov/dmpeditor/, click on "Login" in the top right corner
- For DOI users: Username is your email address and your password is your Active Directory password
- For non-DOI users: Username is your email address and your password is your myUSGS password
Requesting a New DMP User Account
- You will be taken to a page like this:
- Fill in all of the requested information and select Submit
- You will receive an email from myUSGS within 24 hours with your new user account information.
How to Log Out
- To log out, click on "Logout" in the top right corner of the page
Viewing Your DMPs
- Log in to the DMP site as shown above
- Click on "DMP list" to see the DMPs that you have access to
- From the DMP List you can sort columns by the ID number, Project Name or any of the other headings along the top of the table by clicking on the heading to sort/unsort
- This will sort each list alphabetically or numerically, and if you click it again it will do it in the reverse order
- To perform a search, click in the search box and enter a term, title or keyword
How to Edit DMPs
- From the DMP List page, click on the "Project Name"/title for that project
- To edit the DMP show page, click "Edit" (screen shot 1 below), or to edit an individual record click on that record (screen shot 2 below)
- The "ScienceBase's Project ID" is the unique identifier for the project record in ScienceBase
- The "RFP Manager's ID" and "RFP Manager's Stamp ID" are unique identifiers obtained from the RFP Manager tool during the proposal process (see below)
Note: From the DMP show page, a PI can only edit the Co-PIs, add or edit records, and edit the Permission Also Granted To fields. The remainder of the fields are only editable by Admins and Data Stewards.
- To delete a DMP, click X Delete
- To delete a record within the DMP, click on the record located in the "Records" section (as shown above) to open it
- Click on "Delete" to delete just this record within the DMP
- From the DMP Show page, click on "Edit" in the bottom left corner
- Next, either click on the drop-down arrow or begin typing the name of the Co-PI to see if they are already in the list
- If the Co-PI does not exist in the drop-down list, select "+ Add New Co-PI"
- You will be directed to a page that looks like the one below
- If they already have an account, the information will automatically populate when you enter their email address
- If they do not have an account, you will need to fill in all of the required information and then click on "Create" in the bottom left corner
- If you need to add more than one Co-PI, click on the "+Add New Co-PI" each time to add a new one
- Click "Update" when you are finished to save your additions
- After you add a Co-PI, you may receive a warning message that the Co-PI does not have a DMP Editor Account or edit permissions as shown below
- If the Co-PI needs access to the DMP, please request an account or request edit permission by clicking on the blue bar shown below
- For more information on how to request an account, see RequestingaNewDMPuseraccount
Granting Permission to Designees
- To give a designee permission to edit your DMP, add their email address to the box next to "Edit Permission Also Granted To"
- If there is more than one person you wish to grant permission to, separate the email addresses with commas, click "Update" to save your additions
- If the person/people you wish to add as a designee(s) does not have an account or edit permissions, you will receive a red warning message
- Click on the red warning message next to their email address and follow the instructions to request permission
- See instructions on how to request an account: RequestingaNewDMPuseraccount
- The user will then receive a myUSGS email notification within 24 hours with their new account information
Revoking Permission from Designees
- To revoke permission from a designee, delete their email address from the "Edit Permission also granted to" field
- Click on "Update" to save your changes
How to enable email notification to PI when a Data Steward Comments on DMP
- On the DMP Show page, click edit.
- Check the box next to "Notify PI of New Comment"
- Click on "Update" to save changes
- This will send an email message to the PI, notifying them that the Data Steward has commented on their DMP.
Note, the Co-PIs and designees will not be notified when the Data Steward comments on the DMP
How to mark a DMP as Complete
- When the DMP is complete and ready to be reviewed by the Data Steward, go to the DMP edit page and click on a box titled "Flag DMP As Complete."
- Click "Update" to save changes.
Creating a New DMP
- Click on "+New DMP"
- Enter your project name or ID number if you have it
- Click on "Create" on the lower left
- Continue to fill out the information on the DMP show page including any Co-PIs and add any designee(s) you wish to grant edit permission to
Uploading a DMP Word Template
- If you are using the NCCWSC DMP word template for maintaining your plan, you can easily upload it to the DMP Editor tool.
- To upload it, the template must be a .DOCX document.
- The NCCWSC template is available at https://nccwsc.usgs.gov/content/data-policies-and-guidance
- Create your DMP on the template and save it to your files or desktop
- Next, click on DMP list and select "New DMP"
- Enter your project name
- Select the "Template" for NCCWSC DMP
- Select "Create"
- In the Records section, select "Import records from document"
- Next click on "Choose File," locate the file you have saved and click "Import Records"
- This will import all of your DMP records and they will be located in the "Records" section of the DMP show page
Adding a New Record
- To add new records to a DMP that you have created, from your DMP page click on "Add Record"
- Select your record type in the drop-down list for "Section" and then click on "Create"
- Enter the information (You can enter up to 5000 characters within each field in the record entry)
- Note: The records form has multiple sections that are shaded in gray. The gray shaded sections are not required during the proposal stage of the Data Management Plan (DMP).
- If a project is funded, all fields will then be required
- Finally, click "Update" to save
Downloading a DMP PDF
- To download a PDF of your DMP click on "Download PDF" in the top right corner and a PDF file of your DMP will be downloaded to your computer's download folder
- As the DMP moves through the different phases of the project life cycle, there will be multiple versions of the DMP available to download